Challenges and Benefits to Interracial Dating
In today’s world, a lot of emphasis is put on multiculturalism, equality, and diversity. Thus, it is to no one’s surprise, that interracial dating and relationships are no longer considered to be taboo. Generally, a lot of individuals will straightforwardly agree that it is fine to date someone outside of their race and culture. But, when it comes to their home front, their attitudes change at the snap of the fingers. Still, to this day and age of globalization, a sense of discomfort exists in most families. Even though it is quite natural to be afraid of what the unknown contains, a lot of people still, simply, think, that interracial dating and relationships are quite wrong. Some of the responses which are expressed by family members are ‘not my mother, or not my sister, or not my child.’ Even though society is tolerant towards individuals from various races, interracial dating is quite a delicate subject. There are both challenges and benefits to interracial dating and relationships.
Dating Black Women
Well, first, the challenges which you will face when you are in an interracial relationships and dating. They are :
- People who are a part of your community might not accept the relationship you are in.
- Friends and family will start to distance themselves from you and not talk to you properly.
- You might garner some indirect attention from people like both of you will be stared at, individuals will look at you with contempt in their eyes. Even at parties, your partner will be ignored.
- You might be asked by your family not to bring your partner over at gatherings.
- Even in the relationship itself, some disagreements regarding the importance of values and beliefs of each other might crop up.
- Some comments like ‘You are a disgrace to your culture or race’, ‘You are a sellout’, ‘You should hand out with your own kind’ and other racial comments might be spoken.
- One of you might feel uneasy telling the family and friends regarding the relationship and this itself, will cause problems.
Black Women Seek Love, Dating and Marriage
So, these are the challenges. Now, for the good things. The benefits which you will have when you are a part of the interracial relationship are –
- You get to learn about another religion and culture.
- You will be exposed to a new way of thinking.
- You will get to integrate a few things of their culture, race, and religion into your daily routine.
- You will become stronger in your belief.
- You get to have an immensely wonderful experience with someone you respect, love and care about.
- You might even get to learn a new language even.
- You will be exposed to another country.
- The biggest thing of all is that you and your partner will become a source of inspiration for society at large by being just like any other relationship and that the challenges will be worth it.
Just remember one thing when you are in an interracial relationship – just because you are dating an African women from a certain ethnic background or culture, they will into fit the stereotype of that racial background or ethnicity. A lot of diversity is present in a culture. Some individuals might look ethnic, however, they might not belong in that ethnic group. Never assume you know everything about a culture or ethnicity just because you have friend who belong to same racial background or ethnicity. Understand the differences and similarities which are present so that you can avoid misunderstandings and be the reason for hurt feelings between friends, couples, or families.